… success is based on an exceptionally versatile talent for mastering and interpreting complex situations convincingly regardless of location, scale or budget…
National Council for Architecture, statement on the State Award for Architecture 2006
Helin & Co Architects is one of the leading architectural offices in Northern Europe, recognised for its sustainable and inspiring architecture, thoughtful design solutions and harmonious integration of buildings into the existing surroundings.
We have received 55 awards during our 45 years in business and have won 40 national and international competitions. Many of our designs are people’s everyday environments: working spaces and housing. But our range of work is wide, covering urban master plans and redevelopment projects, retail and multifunctional complexes, transport buildings, civic and cultural buildings as well as private houses, villas and furniture designs. We have also designed the renovations of several important buildings and historical monuments.
40 first prizes in architectural competitions in Finland and abroad.
First prizes e.g.
- Kalasatama Centre, Design-build-competition in cooperation with SRV, Helsinki 2010
- UPM Group Headquarters, International Invited Architectural Competition, Helsinki 2008
- Pan-Gyo Housing, Seoul, Korea, Korean National Housing corporation / UIA, 2006
- Kakolanmäki area, divided 2nd prize (no 1st prize was given), Turku, 2005
- Eiranranta Housing, Helsinki 2005
- Skanssi Areal Centre, in cooperation with Hartela Ltd, Turku, 2005
- Finnforest Modular Office, Finnforest Corporation/SAFA Finnish Association of Architects, Espoo, 2003
- Business Park Mankkaa phase 2, Espoo, 2003
- Jåttåvågen Housing, Stavanger, Norway, 2002
- Uppsala Campus and Science Park, Sweden, 2001
- Kamppi Centre, City of Helsinki, Helsinki, 2000
- Finnish Parliament Building Annexe, Parliament of Finland / SAFA Finnish Association of Architects, Helsinki 1999
- Fornebu/Oslo former airport, overall plan, Norway, International competition, 1998
- Jyväskylä Commercial Centre, 1998
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Helsinki, 1996
- Nokia Corporation Headquarters, Nokia Corporation / SAFA Finnish Association of Architects, Espoo, 1995
- Information Centre for Wooden Structures, Helsinki, divided 1st prize, 1994
- Hankocenter, Recreational and Commercial Area, Hanko, 1991 *
- Experimental Housing in Hestra, Borås, Sweden, International competition, 1990 *
* Helin-Siitonen Architects
55 architectural awards in Finland and abroad, e.g.
State Award for Architecture – National Council for Architecture 2006 (Pekka Helin)
- Iconic Awards Architecture, winner prize – German Design Council 2018 (Kalasatama Health and Well-being Centre)
- EHD European Healthcare Design Award, highly commended 2018 (Kalasatama Health and Well-being Centre)
- DoCoMoMo - Finnish register selection 2017 (Murikka)
- Iconic Awards Interior, winner prize – German Design Council 2017 (Tieto Keilalahti Campus)
- Architizer A+ Award, special mention 2015 (Biofore House)
- European Urban and Regional Planning Award, winner – ECTP-CEU 2014 (Fornebu area)
- Iconic Awards Architecture, winner prize – German Design Council 2013 (Metsa Group Headquarters)
- European Award for Steel Structures – ECCS 2007 (Kamppi Centre, overground parts)
- European Award for Steel Structures – ECCS 2001 (Baltic Square Tower)
- Steel Construction of the Year – Finnish Constructional Steelwork Association 2006 (Kamppi Centre)
- Steel Construction of the Year – Finnish Constructional Steelwork Association 2004 (Parliament House Annexe)
- Steel Construction of the Year – Finnish Constructional Steelwork Association 2000 (Baltic Square Tower)
- Steel Construction of the Year – Finnish Constructional Steelwork Association 1997 (Nokia House)
- Wood Construction Prize, honorary mention – Finnish Timber Council 2013 (Metsa Group Headquarters)
- Family House through the Ages, winner – Finnish Timber Council 2012 (Villa Krona)
- Wood Construction Prize – Finnish Timber Council 2006 (Finnforest Modular Offices)
- Sustainable Building of the Year – Finnish property and construction organisations 2001 (Nordea Aleksis Kiven katu 9)
- Concrete Structure of the Year – Association of Concrete Industry in Finland 1995 (Laivapoika Housing)
Works have been shown in several touring exhibitions in Europe, Japan and the USA and published in many international publications.
- Marianne Ibler: News in Nordic Architecture, Archipress M, 2018.
- Marianne Ibler: News in Nordic Architecture, Archipress M, 2017.
- Marianne Ibler: Cool nordiske boliger, Archipress M, 2017.
- Liisa Lindgren, Tiina Tuukkanen (eds.): Eduskuntatalo. Peruskorjaus 2014 - 2017. 2017 (Renovation of the Finnish Parliament Main Building)
- Jonas Malmberg, Petteri Kummala, Leena Makkonen, Sirkkaliisa Jetsonen: do.co.mo.mo_ Finland Register selection, 2017
- Marianne Ibler, John M. Cava: A New Golden Age. Nordic Housing, Archipress M, 2016.
- Architecture in Context, Helin Workshop, Birkhäuser, Basel, 2011.
- Archiworld Pro Architect no 41 Pekka Helin, Archiworld, Soul, 2007.
- Scullica, Francesco: Helin+Co, Technology and transparency, L’Arcaedizioni, Azzano San Paolo 2004.
- Metsä Group
- Tieto Oyj
- Ahlström Capital
- Fennia Group
- SRV Group
- YIT Construction
- Korean National Housing Corporation
- Parliament of Finland
- City of Helsinki
- City of Espoo
- City of Turku